Kodacrhome by B. Anthony Stewart and John E. Fletcher.
From “Sea to Lakes on the St. Lawrence,” National Geographic, September, 1950.
Thick-walled Mills Doubled as Forts on Isolated Ile aux Coudres
Early French settlers on the exposed island, 55 miles downriver from Quebec, fled to their redoubtlike windmills whenever trouble threatened. This one dates from the 18th century. Jacques Cartier, discoverer of the St. Lawrence, named the island for its hazelnut trees in 1535.